Tuesday, August 16

Arts and Crafts: My Body!

Every now and then we try some new artsy thing.  Sometimes a crafty thing.  This week we did some of both.  Now we wouldn’t normally do two of these in a week.  I ain’t supermom.  That being said, we had some extra time because of our mini break last week. 

Craft 1: Body Poster

P1070841

For this you will need:

  • One large piece of craft paper
  • Markers or Crayons
  • Some patience, and a caffiene free child :)

Directions:

  1. Lay the paper flat out on the floor. 
  2. Let your child lay on the paper, and using a dark colored crayon, trace their whole body.  E really got a kick out of this, and she was willing to stay still just to see the end product.  Now, because I wanted to get a pretty accurate tracing, I did let E be traced in her undies (hence why no pics of that part).  I don’t want to give you mommies TMI, but you need to know the process! 

P1070830

  1. After tracing, draw some clothes on your body, and let you kiddo color away.  I drew some hair on E’s, and I drew a face.  Then we went part by part and labeled and identified each body part.

Craft 2: Body Puzzle

P1070836

You will need:

  • 11 pieces of construction paper (2 pieces each of 4 different colors, and 1 piece of a 5th color)
  • A marker or crayons
  • Some patience, again :)

Directions:

  1. Let your child lay down on the floor and position 2 pieces of the paper under the trunk of your child’s body.  I laid the paper sideways and needed 2 pieces to cover the length of E’s torso.  Trace the body on the paper.
    P1070833
  2. Repeat the process for each of your child’s arms and legs, using a different color for each part. 
  3. Lastly, use a piece of paper to trace your kiddo’s head. 
  4. Cut out each of the body parts, and if two pieces of paper were used for a part attach them accordingly. 
  5. Using the paper parts, let your child put together their puzzle! 
    P1070835
  6. As an extension of this activity, I drew a heart, as set of lungs and a stomach.  I let E determine where they went! 
    P1070838

Just as a side note, I found this puzzle to be EXTREMELY creepy when finished.  Seriously, I had to get rid of it because it just weirded me out.  I don’t know if you all will have the same reaction, but hey, its an idea you can try!

Hope you have fun crafting!

Amber1

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try this with my son. Where can you get paper that long to trace a kid. At a hobby lobby type store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, I did something similar with my montessori preschool class but we added what good foods and bad foods go into our stomachs and if they made a happy face for our body or a sad face for our body

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestion, Leila!  I cannot imagine doing this with an entire class of preschoolers!  You are a brave (and I am sure talented!) teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corinne9:16 PM

    I love your website! Thank you thank you thank you for all the wonderful materials and ideas. You are a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw...you're very welcome Corinne.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the comment. If you have a question for me, make sure to leave your email, if it is not located on your profile. I will definitely respond as soon as possible. Thanks for visiting.