Monday, June 2

The $30, 30-Minute, Do-It-Yourself Sensory Table

Sensory tables are great. You can introduce your littles to new and messy textures without worrying about the mess.
 
The bad news about sensory tables is they aren't cheap, they take up a lot of space when not in use, and can be cumbersome to clean
 
The great news is I found a way that you (or your handy/not-so-handy husband) can build one in less than 30 minutes and for about $30.

DIY Sensory Table
 
Are you up for it? Let's do it!
Here’s what you'll need to tackle this project:

Tools:

IMG_1764

Saw, Miter Box (optional, but helpful), Tape Measure, Marker


Materials
 
IMG_1758  IMG_1760

You're almost sure to find everything you need at your local hardware store. Note that all of the connectors should have a slip fitting, not threaded. This will ensure that everything will simply push together.

 
1 – Sterilite 28-quart storage box (23-1/2" x 17" x 6") $4.94
5 – 3/4” x 5 feet PVC pipe $1.63 each
8 – 3/4” PVC side outlet elbow/3-way connector $1.60 each
2 – 3/4” PVC tee $0.47 each
2 – 3/4” PVC elbow $0.36 each
  Total Cost Before Tax:  $27.55
 
(Never mind the extra pipe and unnecessary bag of couplers in the picture. My husband got a little carried away at the hardware store. You know how that is.)


STEP 1: Cut all of your pieces.
IMG_1791  IMG_1785
 
Cut List
 
table with specs
2 – 21”
5 – 14-1/4”
4 – 10”
2 – 3-1/2”
4 – 18-1/4” or to your desired height. These are your uprights customized for your child's height.


 
STEP 2: Pause for a silly photo with your child.
IMG_1788  IMG_1789

STEP 3: Put it all together. Seriously, it's that easy. Don't use any adhesive, so you'll be able to take it apart when you're done with it.
 
IMG_1790  IMG_1796

We wanted some extra support on the bottom, so all of the weight was not resting on the rim. Depending on what you put in your sensory bins or how rough your kids get you might need the additional reinforcement. So we added the extra cross piece.

IMG_1799  IMG_1800
IMG_1803

See? Wasn't that easy?

Now, your sensory table is ready to roll.
IMG_1805  IMG_1810

BONUS: Your table collapses all the way down so you can store all of the parts within the box when you're done with it. (Of course, if you make your table taller the legs may not fit.)
 
IMG_0233
DOUBLE BONUS: At only $5 or $6 for the storage box you can put together multiple sensory experiences and stack them away when not in use.
 

 
For sensory table activities checkout my Pinterest board.

Follow 2 Teaching Mommies's board Sensory Play on Pinterest.

What are you going to put in your sensory table?

This post contains affilated links.  Please click here to read our full disclosure policy.

Please be aware that affiliate links may be present.  If you purchase anything through an affiliate link, you give back a percentage to our family…thanks!




20 comments:

  1. Love that it all packs into the storage bin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I was very excited about that as well. We didn't plan for it, but discovered it after we put it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant! So much better than the wooden one we made. Brilliant, I say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea!! I wonder if I could get the pipe cut at the store. I don't think anyone in my family is qualified to saw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should totally market this on Etsy or somewhere. I'm betting parents would love to buy a "ready-made" kid like this. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha! I'm not sure if they'll cut PVC pipe at the store, they might. I know they'll cut wood. It's definitely worth checking. Let me know what you find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks @Louise! I've never sold anything through Etsy. Have you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I haven't. I'm trying to think of a place where you could sell them. Maybe kids consignment sales or something? Seriously it's a great product!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know you can get pliers specifically made to cut PVC pipe at Home Depot? :) This is a great idea - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing! I have an 8 mo old that would get tons of use out of this over the next few years! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How tall would you suggest making the table for a typical 5 year old? I am going to make this for my kindergarten classroom, and I want my 5 year olds to be able to comfortable stand at the sensory table!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm having a really hard time finding the 3 way connectors with the slip fitting. Checked a bunch of places- home depot, lowes, ace hardware. Anyone have any advice on where I can get them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our local Lowes carried them. I will put out a Facebook post to see if anyone found them some where else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for replying! After calling every hardware store in my area, I found one Lowe's that had them. None of the others did, but that particular store had them in stock. It seems to be the only one. Thank you for checking for me! :-)


    Also, for anyone who is looking to use this in a Kindergarten classroom, I just built mine and tested it out with a 5-year old, and 24 inches seems to be the perfect height!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My 16-year old son just made this for my 2-year old. It was super-easy to make and she LOVES it. Thanks for the great idea and directions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! So glad she loves it! Did your son enjoy putting it together?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing that info Megan! I hadn't had time to measure my 6 year old yet. I appreciate that you took the time to come back and let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're very welcome Shelly! What are you planning to put in it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just recently made this for my school counseling office. I, too, had trouble finding the right 3 way connectors but found some with one side threaded. We were able to buy an adapter for the threaded sides and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the comment. If you have a question for me, make sure to leave your email, if it is not located on your profile. I will definitely respond as soon as possible. Thanks for visiting.